Thursday, March 19, 2020

Social Distancing

We are on day 4 of social distancing. We have not left the house except for a quick run for more groceries and to drop Rosie off at the vet this morning to stay two days for a routine surgery. To be honest my emotions have run all over the place.

The first day was exciting. I was able to return to my old love of teaching, and both kids (especially Maggie) were motivated to complete the assignments. Sleeping in until 8am was also an added bonus.


Day two was a huge struggle. I think the reality hit me that this self quarantine is serious and there is no end in sight. The kids' virtual learning seemed never ending. I had to make an emergency stress run to Costco to load up on snacks and easy meals. After spending $300 and stuffing my car with all the things, I did feel a little better.

I am now earning a Michelin Star over here....



Wednesday started off better, but the evening ended with an early bedtime for the kids because of bickering and disrespect. I take some responsibility for adding some anxiety because I was discussing the virus so much and the impact on our reality. There is such a fine line between being honest with your kids about a life changing stress and trying to make everything happy. I have to remember that the older ones are still little despite how mature they can act.


Today we broke the schedule and drove to Madison to drop off Rosie. It was a quick trip with very limited outside contact, but it helped to get dressed in actual clothes and see spring flowers in bloom. We are trying to escape outside as much as possible without interacting with others.



Luckily Daddy has been able to work from home all week which helps tremendously with the stress and extra mess that the kids create throughout the day. He is able to work from his office with limited distractions, and we see him at breakfast, lunch, and frequently a walk around the block for some fresh air. We are so lucky that Amazon is flexible enough to allow their employees to observe some social distancing.

I do not think we will be returning to a normal schedule any time soon, but we are healthy and reconnecting. I need to relax and accept that I cannot control the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment