Saturday, August 6, 2011

An Apple a Day

I cannot believe summer is coming to an end, and most public schools will start next Monday! Dylan and Stella (the kids I nanny) will both be in full day school this year with Dylan in Pre-K and Stella in Kindergarten. I have been with the family for almost two years, so it is crazy how much the kids have grown and changed. Tuttle has been so lucky to be around Stella and Dylan. His face lights up every time he spots them even when he has just woken up from a nap!

To celebrate school starting, the family is hosting a party for Dylan's class. Stella and Dylan love cooking projects, so I planned an activity to make cupcakes that looked like apples. :) I am not a talented baker, but it was fun to create something more challenging than icing on a cupcake.

After finding an easy apple recipe online, we went to Kroger to pick up cake mix, icing, food coloring, pretzels, and green sour licorice. Once Tuttle was down for his nap (it has become a challenge to cook with a little boy begging to be held!), we got started. Stella even let me borrow one of her aprons. The kids helped mix up the batter and put the decorations on the cupcakes while I filled the muffin cups and iced the cupcakes.

I think they turned out so cute! Hopefully, they will be a hit at Dylan's party!



The kids were able to enjoy a cupcake during afternoon snack. I gave Tuttle a cupcake without the icing because I did not want an unnecessary mess to clean up! He didn't know the difference! :)




Good luck on your first day at school, Stella and Dylan!!

No comments:

Post a Comment