Monday, August 30, 2021

Living That Sub Life

 With all three kids in school full time now, I decided to get back into the classroom with the occasional substitute teaching job. After jumping through all the hoops to get my badge (references, finger printing, four hour seminar), I picked up my first job in Jacob's class on Friday.

I am proud to report that while Jacob was not the best behaved, he was also not the worst behaved. I always had respect for kindergarten teachers, but after being alone in the classroom for eight hours, their salary needs to be quadrupled. I came home and immediately took a two hour nap after my adventure in Jacob's classroom. It was definitely a memorable experience for my first time back teaching in over 10 years!

I opted to head back today for another substitute position in 1st grade. I had a kid decide it was the perfect day to give himself a haircut in class, one child dropped their shorts in the toilet during a bathroom break, and one child could not speak English, so we spent all day unsuccessfully trying to act out all the worksheets and directions, but I taught the kids to play Head Up, Seven Up, so I would call the day a complete success.

I have a few days to recover from battle before I return to another job at the elementary school later this week! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment