Sunday, January 5, 2014

Return to the Land of the Living

I have missed blogging for about a week now because I have just recovered from strep throat. I totally jinxed myself when I talked to Kristen last week and bragged that I had not been sick Tuttle had been born while she was lying in bed dying. Serves me right! :)
 
Jay was so helpful with the babies and housework. I could barely function to throw some waffles in the toaster in the morning and grab a few Uncrustables from the freezer for lunch. I lived in the recliner during the day as Tuttle and Maggie roamed the house. Tuttle did love watching so many movies since he barely gets to watch tv. Jay arrived home after working all day to a wrecked house, made dinner, gave baths, completed the bedtime routine, and then picked up the house while I retreated to our bedroom. I finally went to an urgent care clinic after I could not stand feeling like there were razors blades growing in my throat anymore.
 
I was on the up just in time to take Tuttle to a birthday party he had been looking forward to for weeks. The party was for our old neighbor, Sam, and the invitation arrived addressed to Tuttle and pictured Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on it, a new obsession for our boy.
 
The party did not disappoint. Not only did it reunite Tuttle with his buddy, but Sam's mom arranged for a karate instructor to come and teach real ninja moves to the boys. Tuttle was in Heaven!
 

 
We rounded out the party with pizza and green Ninja Turtle cake. Both Maggie and Tuttle went home very excited. Happy Birthday, Sam!
 
 
Tuttle received a final Christmas surprise in the mail yesterday. The only item Santa did not bring was an umbrella because it was added to Tuttle's list last minute. Jay's sweet friend, Jacob, sent the kids a gift card for Christmas, so I ordered a pirate umbrella for Tuttle. Jacob made him very happy.
 
 
Last, but not least, Maggie has been showing some interest in the potty and underwear. I know she is only 16 months, and I am not diving into the world of potty training, but I am indulging her when it works for us. Two days ago she INSISTED on wearing Tuttle's Ninja Turtle underwear on top of her clothes all day long and was so proud anytime I asked her to show me her underwear. When I put on her pajamas, she held tight to the underwear and wanted to wear it to bed.
 
 
Today I though I smelled a stinky diaper, so I checked. Nothing. I suggested to Maggie that she could sit on the potty, and she was thrilled. I gave her a book to read as she relaxed in the bathroom. After I returned to help Jay with a project, I heard her start to cry and assumed she had fallen off the potty. When I got to the bathroom, she was off the potty, and I found poop in it! Yes, my 16 month old daughter might be potty training herself.
 

 
Snow is in the forecast for tonight, and I am crossing my fingers there is something on the ground for the babies to play in tomorrow morning!

1 comment:

  1. This looks like it was a blast. And I am so happy you got pictures. These are the greatest memories to have and to look back on. I have tried to be good about taking just enough pictures but not too many. I have heard that the more pictures that you take, the less vividly you remember the actual event.

    Howard Nguyen @ U.S. HealthWorks - San Carlos

    ReplyDelete