Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Introducing Jacob Corbitt Thorne

The blog has been rather quiet for a few weeks, but we are back in action now to announce the arrival of Jacob Corbitt to our family! He made his debut into the world on Monday, January 11 at 7:37pm weighing 8 pounds and 3 ounces (our biggest baby!) and measuring 21.25 inches.


I went for a regular OBGYN appointment on Monday to check for any progress and to schedule my induction. The doctors had agreed to induce me at 39 weeks, so I was expecting Jacob's birthday to fall on the following Monday. While I was at the appointment, I joked with the nurse that she could fib that my blood pressure was high and send me directly to the hospital. Much to my surprise, she told me dreams do come true, and my blood pressure was actually high. After the doctor checked me, she discovered I was already 3cm dilated and told me to head home to pack a bag and head to hospital. Jay did not believe me when I called him at work and told me that we were having a baby that day! :)

We checked into the hospital around noon, and things started happening around 2pm. The hardest part of the entire delivery was getting my IV in place. I absolutely HATE needles, and the nurse could not seem to position the IV correctly. At one point she had to remove it on one arm, and another nurse had to position it on the other arm. Needless to say, it was not the most positive start to my delivery! 

Luckily the rest of the process went very smoothly. I was nervous that the on-call doctor wanted to start the Pitocin before giving me an epidural, which was NOT the original plan. I was scared that the dilation would move so quickly that we would not have time to get the epidural, but my contractions started pretty mild and regular, and I got the epidural sooner than I thought I would. I labored with the epidural for a few hours before pushing. I had to work a little harder than I did for Maggie (She came out with two pushes), but Jacob was a much bigger baby. I pushed about 4 rounds, and Jacob arrived! :)

Jacob was showing signs of grunting while breathing which can indicate fluid in the lungs, so he went to the transitional nursery for about 4 hours before coming to our room. We experienced the same thing with Tuttle, so we were not as nervous this round and were just happy that the hospital was taking such great care of our little boy. 


We had a smooth night and could not wait for family to arrive to meet our newest addition. We kept it simple this time and just had immediate family. Grandmommy and Grandaddy arrived first followed by Gram with Tuttle and Maggie.


Tuttle and Maggie were both so sweet to their little brother. Maggie was her normal initially shy self, but she quickly warmed up to Jacob and even wanted to hold him. 


Tuttle would kiss his little head and sit by him, but he was not big on holding him. This was a big improvement from the day that Maggie was born because he would not evenstay in the room that day! :) 


Although I was still SUPER SWOLLEN with wet hair and no makeup for this photo, I am so proud of our new family of FIVE!


Gram snuggled with Jacob, too. She has been such a lifesaver already. She helped get me through the IV drama, managed Tuttle and Maggie's transportation and care for the last two days, and is committed to helping everyday after Daddy returns to work. We could not survive without her! I timed getting pregnant with her retirement perfectly! Hehe


Aunt Peach, Uncle Drew, and Holland came by around lunchtime with sushi, my request. The hospital food was less than appealing this visit, and I devoured our delivered food in no time. I got such a kick out of Holland and Jacob meeting. For once Holland looked HUGE! After being born at 34 weeks, she has not looked big at any point until she met our new little one. I know Jacob and Holland will be fast friends and get into all sorts of trouble!


Our time at the hospital flew by, and today we took our new baby boy home to officially start our life as a family of five.


We are very blessed and know our life is only going to get more exciting with our newest addition, Jacob Corbitt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment