Thursday, May 30, 2019

Mable Fleming Corbitt

Mable Fleming Corbitt, my grandmother, passed away on May 20, 2019 at the age of 98. We celebrated her life in Willacoochee, Georgia with family and friends. It was a service full of tears and laughter as we remembered how special Grandma was to our lives. I was honored to read several of her poems.

All the Corbitt women wore costume jewelry passed down by Grandma. Maggie chose the brooch that I also used on my wedding bouquet.


I have grown up in the church and always followed Jesus, but I felt an overwhelming sense of peace sitting in the church service honoring Grandma. I know we will see her again one day, and I know she is rejoicing in Heaven. 

These five great-grandchildren were extremely blessed to have Grandma in their lives for so long.


Everyone knew that visiting the Corbitt Hardware Store was the final stop of the day. Happily Junior opened the store especially for us since the store was closed that day for Grandma's funeral.


Every time I walk into that store my childhood comes alive again. The smell has not changed in over 30 years, and I wish I could bottle it up.

We crammed into the store front. Grandma left behind such a unique, strong, and special family.


Jacob loves to tell everyone that Grandma went to Heaven, and she is now in the sky. I know she is looking down and smiling on us.


"Here we go up in the sky.
Here we go, oh, so high!
See the birds fluttering by
When we go up in the sky."

No comments:

Post a Comment